Modern Homesteading & Baking Bread for the Soul



Home that place where you kick back, get comfortable, or just let loose.
Is it the security, the pride of ownership, or as simple as a comforting feeling. 

What is it that certain something that makes you feel at home?  

For me, nothing says home more then smell of fresh baked bread.  
My memories of home are of my mom baking. She was always baking cakes, & cookies, sweet breads, and my all time favorite, bread fresh out of the oven, onion bread to be specific
Yes, onion bread, I've never come across it anywhere else, but at home.

Of course now I make my own fresh bread, all kinds like cinnamon swirl, oatmeal buttermilk, and even fresh pita, but onion bread always brings me back home no matter where I am.


Hello, my name is Lu and along with my main squeeze lover Don, together we are carving out our future, working full time, renovating our home, and raising our 3 kids. We are a blended family trying to create a that feeling of home for all of us. Here I'll share our accomplishments, DIY projects, recipes, and homegrown tips as we navigate this crazy roller-coaster called life. 

Today I'm sharing my Mom's Onion Bread recipe. This recipe was passed down from my Grandmother who was a French Canadian mother of 11 kids (that's not a typo), to my mom, Julie, mother to 6 kids, and now me mother of 1 daughter Maya and step-monster to 2 teenagers Jillian and Dalton, maybe someday they will make onion bread too. 

Momma's Onion Bread  (2 loaves)  


Ingredients needed:
2c Milk, 6tbsp, Sugar, 2tbsp Salt, 3tbsp Butter
3pkg Yeast, 3/4c lukewarm water, 2med Onion, 8c Flour
Equipment needed: 1 candle, 2 large loaf pans




Scald Milk w/ sugar, salt and butter
Proof yeast in 3/4c warm water
light candle before you chop onions to help burn off the fumesChop Onions (about 2c)
Mix in flour 1c at a time till dough comes together
Change attachment to dough hook and continue adding flour till dough is well combined and a dough ball forms. OR  (My mixer can only mix in up to 7cups, so I finish by hand kneading)
turn out dough and finish kneading in the last cup of flour
Allow to rise for 2 hours or till doubled in size
This recipe will make 2 large loaves
Punch down and divide dough, 

place into prepared (greased & floured) bread pans
Here I made 2 small and 1 large loaf  
Cover and allow to rise till doubled in size, about an hour
Preheat oven to 375
degrees for glass or 350 degree for dark or non-stick pans
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes and sounds hollow when tapped
Slice using a sharp bread knife, careful not to squish
Enjoy hot out of the oven, or toasted for breakfast and sandwiches.  


Hope you try our family recipe, and share what makes you feel at home.







Comments

Popular Posts